Tuesday 5 September 2017

Where I break up with Dr G (in a good way)

I'm now at Day +84 - 84 days since my baby stem cells were repatriated to head directly to my bone marrow and start the job of rebuilding my new MS free immune system.

And may I say they've done a sterling job!  I saw the lovely Dr G last week where he declared my blood results looked nice and normal and promptly discharged me back to Dr N.

I had a few questions about my likely recovery path but more importantly, when would it be safe to eat a rare steak and a runny eggs?  His response was one step at a time and not to approach these two delicacies at the same time.  To my delight he announced I could try a rare steak that very evening and promptly recommended a place to order such a culinary delight..........  The Dean St Townhouse in Soho - it's good - go there!



Was lovely and no ill effects suffered. I still need to be careful and sensible about avoiding risky potentially food poisoning offerings but some lovely things are back on the menu.  Apologies to any vegetarians!


Despite our break up we'll see each other this week for a precautionary check ahead of a long haul flight to family in Australia.  There's no indication that anything is amiss and I have his blessing to fly but we're being extra cautious and checking my platelet level - lack of blood clotting ability at 30,000 feet is not a place we want to be. This whole treatment has been "belt and braces" and very much erring on the side of caution which is how it should be.

Nor is our break up permanent, he's very keen to monitor my progress and we will be keeping in touch, (if only for restaurant recommendations) not only is he a first class Consultant Haematologist, his dining suggestions are pretty good too.

Later last week I also saw the lovely Dr N, my Neurologist.  He is a leading supporter of HSCT as a treatment for MS and is working very hard behind the scenes to help get the treatment made available to a wider group of people. He also decreed my level of disability had improved since the treatment which is very positive.

So how have the last weeks been?  I still get a little tired but I'm feeling well.  I have been lucky and had very stable blood levels - what should be up is still up, and what should be down is still down.  I haven't had any infections or spiked any fevers and was even able to step out in these beauties without falling over.


What the future holds is anyone's guess - but for now it feels very positive (though I'll be friends with penicillin and anti -viral meds for a while and for the time being, anti-bac is still the friend I never go out without).

Love Lou x


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment