Thursday 27 July 2017

One month on - still rocking it (and dinner at The Ivy)

Well it's now a month since I was released from my incarceration and the news is so far so good........

The first couple of weeks I took it pretty easy.  I felt a bit tired and my legs were a little wobbly but I put this down to mostly being sat around in bed for almost three weeks. Legs seem to be now back to pre treatment baseline.  I'm still a bit tired but feeling stronger every day.

I've managed to stay fever free, no signs of infections - the prophylactic antibiotic and anti-viral meds are trained professionals and seems to be good at their job.

I had my review with the lovely Dr G last week, went in a touch early for blood tests so he had the results to hand.  The blood results were very pleasing, it would appear my baby new immune system is rebuilding itself and the numbers that should be up were up and the numbers that should be down are down.

I asked the lovely Dr G what I should be doing/not doing to aid my recovery and his advice was move back to being normal (whatever that is) slowly.  Go shopping in quieter times to avoid crowds and if eating out, go early or late to avoid crowds and still go sensibly and carefully with what I eat - still no Brie or Parma ham I'm afraid.

The latter suggestion elicited an "Ah" from Himself , "we're booked for dinner at The Ivy at 8:00pm!"

Now if you've been following my story you will remember that the sheer efficiency of the NHS robbed me of the opportunity of dinner at The Ivy on the evening I went into hospital.  Was this to be another missed opportunity?

Well no dear readers, the lovely Dr G's advice on dining at The Ivy was to ask for table on the edge of the restaurant rather than in the middle, don't eat shellfish or rare meat and not to order my favourite champagne or wine as the chemo will still be affecting my taste buds and could taste awful.  Lovely to see his concern about my future champagne consumption - these things are important.


I am however pleased to report that my glass of vintage Moet & Chandon was perfectly lovely (served in the private members area while we waited for our table - sometimes it pays to be early).  I've hardly imbibed any alcohol since this whole thing started but I then bravely went on to enjoy a couple of glasses of good Aussie Shiraz.

The veal cutlet in lemon and thyme was mighty tempting but I'd have wanted it cooked medium so the slow cooked lamb it was.  The whole experience was just lovely.


Finished off with a lovely mocha tiramisu - mmmmmmm.


So before this turns into a foodie blog...............................

In all I'm still making very good progress.  I'll see the lovely Dr G at the end of the month when hopefully he can discharge me back to the lovely Dr N.  Cheeky sod even suggested that all I need do it grow some hair!

Stay tuned............




Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment