Wednesday 7 June 2017

A room with a view and a different dining experience


Well dear readers, here I am firmly ensconced in my room for the next three weeks or so at the Hammersmith hospital.  The alternative to my hospital dinner was dinner at The Ivy……

Let’s rewind ……..

Two weeks ago, I had a treasure hunt of tests to make sure I’m fit enough to undergo the rest of the process.  I was issued with a “marauder’s map” and set loose in the hospital for such exciting destinations as the lung function test lab, the cardio test unit for echo test and ECG, chest x-ray and for no extra charge, blood taken to test for … well everything I think given the number of vials filled.

The day included meeting with the lovely G – Lead Haematology Nurse, and the lovely Dr L who is the transplant co-ordinator.  A provisional date was given as the 7th June for the main event with the PICC line at some point ahead of that date.  (PICC explanation to follow – though that comes with a squeamish alert).  The key messages from the lovely G and the lovely Dr L was that the date would probably change and throughout the procedure, sound advice to “expect it to be a tad brutal and don’t be a hero”.
Last week I was cordially invited to present to the hospital at 8:00am on the 7th June (today) to have my PICC line inserted.  We journeyed up to London town yesterday – me, Himself and my sister who is here from Australia in a wonderful show of sisterly solidarity.  We decided to take advantage of the London opportunity and see a show.  We chose the matinee performance of the Mousetrap, it’s run for 65 years so must be reasonably entertaining……  it was…..if you haven’t been, do go.  After the performance on leaving the theatre we practically tripped over the front step of The Ivy – a restaurant that has been on the bucket list…….  They’d just given away their last table but maybe it was our disappointed faces (or the chemo hat) but Theo at the desk said he would guarantee us a table for tonight – I said I was scheduled to be in hospital but I thought a table at The Ivy would be easier to find than a bed at the Hammersmith Hospital – we took him up on his very kind offer……..

So this dear readers, brings us up to today.....

We arrived promptly and after the right length of delay (read enough time to get a cup of tea), the process was underway.  A PICC is a “Peripherally Inserted Central Line” – it’s so they can get lots of drugs and potions in easily without having to faff about with cannulas which can be a bit troublesome.  Here’s the squeamish alert – the line goes in the arm above the elbow and runs right up and around and stops just short of the heart – in my case that’s 41cm – don’t think about it – I’m trying not to.  It’s then to x-ray to make sure it’s where it should be – it is.

We were then told the bed manager was “reasonably positive” a bed would be available today and would phone later in the day.  Feeling my dinner at The Ivy slipping away, we implemented retail therapy and whiled away some hours having a little shop at Westfield.

Back in the flat in the afternoon Himself decided it was only fair to Theo at The Ivy to let him know whether we’d be dining with them, we hadn’t had “the call” so he wandered over to the Haematology Unit to enquire…………  He phoned with the news that yes – my room was indeed available and the ward was expecting me – further reinforced when we arrived on the ward we were greeted by the nurse who indeed confirmed they were expecting me.  Himself and my little sister did threaten to go to The Ivy and send me photos but really I think (well I hope), they’re at the pub around the corner.

So,  I have my room with a lovely view of the brick wall, it’s well kitted out with TV, radio, my very own en-suite and bar fridge for snacks. (sadly unstocked)  There is also the fundamental building block of human happiness - Wi-Fi!

The treatment starts tomorrow – four days of intensive chemo with the added fun of r-ATG (a rather unpleasant potion I’m reliably informed), this will reduce my immune system to zero.  Then a day of rest then my stem cells that have been patiently waiting in the deep freeze with be thawed and infused back in.  Apparently they know what to do and will get straight to work in my bone marrow to start rebuilding my immune system – one that doesn’t have MS – how cool is that?

So I may be a bit quiet for the next few days but will keep you posted when I can.

I am feeling a bit guilty really – so many people are fighting to get this treatment and many are spending large amounts of cash going abroad as they can’t access the treatment here.  I have had it handed to me, it was recommended by my lovely Dr N, the last weeks have gone entirely to plan. (other than a missed lovely posh dinner opportunity – I wonder if JustEat will deliver from the Ivy?)

I don’t want to get political on this blog (I use Twitter for political ranting) but the NHS is a wonderful thing that needs preserving.  It’s full of caring professional people all working harder than they should be with fewer resources than they should have.  When you vote tomorrow, please vote for those who will protect it. 
I'll be here for the next few weeks ......see you on the other side of the brutal bit……………
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment