Thursday 22 June 2017

Where we get a glimpse of an immune system and wanton theft.


Well dear readers here am I still imprisoned with the “this patient has no immune system” sign on the door but perhaps a little grateful that things haven’t sped along.
While the rest of the country has been sweltering, the iso wards have a lovely vent over the bed constantly puffing cool, purified air – blissful and all designed to ensure air from the hallway doesn’t enter your room. 
Apparently, it’s much warmer in other parts of the hospital – the wonderful nurses do a bit of hovering about in my room for a chat, they are all interesting people but I'm sure they're just cooling off.

My room has also been voted by the staff as the nicest smelling room –  all credit to Emma Bridgewater’s True Love and Roses, Miss Dior and some lovely body conditioner stuff from Lush.  I was expecting  to have to bathe in anti bac but the instructions to bring in toiletries that your skin is used to, can help against the damage the chemo is capable of doing. Apparently there are lesser sweeter smelling rooms than mine.
So here I am at Day + nine.  (remember we’re counting from the day my baby stem cells were repatriated).
The key things to be done from Day 1 to Day 12-14 are – avoid infection and grow an immune system.  So here's a whistle stop tour from when I left you last…….
Days 1-5 I was spiking little fevers – either early in morning or evening – however these were quickly seen off with a cocktail of IV antibiotics, some straight into the PICC and some ably delivered by Baxter who has been watching quietly from the corner, ready to assist when called upon.
On Day 2 I had a knock at the door from a lovely lady asking if I would like a foot massage.  Now normally no one touches my feet – I am officially over that – bliss.  A wonderful service for patients in what is primarily a cancer ward.  Now if they can just send a manicurist, that would be fab and gain even more stars on my eventual TripAdvisor rating.  The chemo has not yet destroyed my nails.
By Day 6 we appeared to have conquered the pesky little fevers, we’ve progressively withdrawn the antibiotic cocktail to just the prophylactic ones I will stay on for a year, that’s Lou 1 – Infection 0 and all without an immune system.
Day 6 also saw a very low platelet count – they’re the guys that make your blood clot.  A lot of the blood donated is separated into platelets – if you are well and not a blood donor – it’s a great thing to do.  Sometimes people like me will need you and we thank you.
Day 7 was a milestone – the PICC line was removed as it was surplus to requirements.  They often leave them in for the duration of the stay for the quick admin of drugs and even feeding as another side effect of chemo is awful mouth ulcers to the extent morphine or tube feeding may be required – not me – nothing stops me eating, except the hospital food – Jamie we need you urgently!  However, mine was not needed for superhero antibiotics or anything else so out it came – quickly and absolutely painlessly.  Baxter is still in the room but just for company now.
I’ve been spending my time receiving visitors, resting and doing not much really – the days go by very quickly with a steady stream of obs to make sure the numbers that need to stay down do so, and those that need to stay up do, do that as well.
I’ve had some lovely visitors who are welcome; but are required to don plastic aprons.  Now these aprons have no magic protective qualities but act a reminder that you’re in a room with a person with no immune system.  They do give the impression that all my friends have jobs in the supermarket deli. 
"That's a bit over the 250gr love, is that okay"
My biggest confession though dear readers is that I could now be guilty of the wanton misappropriation of a man electronic gadget……..  I was very slow to the whole smart phone thing but over the past few years have made up for time – moving from “what I have does the job” to “mmmmm maybe I should upgrade”.  I love my iPads – both of them, love, love my Apple watch and upgrade my laptop every year or two.

Now himself has always lusted after some really good (read stupid money) noise cancelling headphones.  I have a “reasonably priced” set which I use for long haul flights that slightly dull the noisy child from three rows down, rather than block the din in any really effective way; but I’ve always felt did the job as they only come out for long haul flights.
Some weeks ago, Himself and I were in John Lewis (Aussie readers think David Jones only much posher).  Himself had gently suggested a wander to the section where we might “have a look” at some “better noise cancelling headphones” – he had his eye on Bose (though other brands are available).  I was feeling touch guilty about a bit of a largish shop from the Emma Bridgewater Factory shop (Aussies readers – lovely hand cast and sponged pottery – my collection is bordering on an obsession and an intervention has been suggested), I duly agreed. (to looking at headphones not limiting my collection of lovely pottery).
We tried several brands all recommended by the sales folk – the beautiful thing about shopping at John Lewis is they train their staff so they can offer proper advice about why one product might meet your needs better than another.  We decided the Bose top end noise cancelling ones did just that – we couldn’t hear the clatter from the nearby café, the murmuring from the busy evening shoppers and the shrieking from the children trapped in the pushchairs.

Assent was duly granted for the purchase – Himself said the only difficulty was he was concerned I would purloin them for the next long haul flight so we should buy two sets.  I had no intention of allowing a second set as we were paying what I already considered stupid money and mine “did the job”  I did say however I may take them to hospital as they were pristine and new and wouldn’t be harbouring any harmful bacteria……  Perfect! 
Well dear readers, hospital wards -even nice cool isolation ones are noisy places.  So feeling like a little afternoon nap could only aid my recovery, I donned the said stupid money headphones and something magical happened……  they make everything go away other than the chilled music I had deployed.  Pretty soon I was dreaming of being looked after by Michael Buble and a doctor was having to touch my arm to get my attention…..  We have a dilemma – I think said magic gadgetry is now mine………….  A very kind and generous man is Himself…………I’ll keep you posted……….It’s not even his birthday until February.
And so to my recovery………….
Without further pesky fevers we are just waiting for my new immune system to make itself known to us – it has been a tad slow but we’ve had the first tiny increase in white cell count today so all good news.
So far I’ve managed to avoid the nasty effects of all the poisonous meds and this is an incredibly intensive chemo regime  – just the little fevers which we now seem to have seen off the premises.  I’d say I’ve had the placebos however my immune system has been obliterated and what’s left of my almost completely gone hair is on its way out.
We now wait for the white cells and neutrophils to return from their summer hols and I’ll be safe to head home.  I’ll let you know when that day comes……..
Much love, Lou x










Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment